Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Day 1: When in Rome...


There is no better time to start a European adventure than at 3:30 am. I was ready to go, enthusiastic as could be, and overflowing with excitement. After a one hour flight to Denver, 2 hour layover, 2 hour flight to Detroit (that city invented the definition of gangster), 3 hour layover, 9 hour flight to Rome, and 1 hour bus ride with no air conditioning and the best of Mariah Carey blasting the whole way: my enthusiasm was dead. Due to the 8 hour time change, by this time it was 11 am. Sleep is apparently not a priority here, so after a quick exploration of our beautiful hotel, we headed straight to the Colosseum. As I stepped off the metro, there it was. The picture I had seen so many times on cheap postcards and in the Calenders on sale at walmart really did exsist, and I was looking right at it. The moment was short lived as I felt that first drop of polluted rain. It was then that I regretted packing 5 boxes of fruit roll ups instead of an umbrella and a rain poncho. Terrential downpour does not even do what I went through justice. Quarter size balls of ice launched from the sky for a good 15 minutes, followed by at least a foot of rain. Allie generously donated a rain poncho to my soaking wet cause, but by that time it was being used for heat more than for protection. After 2 hours of this Roman rain storm, we went to our first museum. I wish I could even tell you the name of it, but I was cold, soaking wet, tired, and starving. It was a great museum though, don't let my pessimism let you think otherwise. Right after, half the group (myself included) ventured off the the Hard Rock cafe. After a brisk 5 mile walk and a 1 hour wait, a $20.oo burger and fries has never tasted so good. On the way home, the streets were lined with candle lit cafes occupied by loving couples sipping wine and speaking italian. It was just like the movies, it was just so italian. My first day was completely amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment