Saturday, July 11, 2009

Day 10: Clothing Optional


















This morning we had an appointment to meet with Murano Glass. They generously sent two 2 boats right up to our hotel to transport us to their store on the Island of Murano. It was an extremely classy gesture. Upon arrival we were greeted and taken to the glass blowing factory. We were given a demonstration by one of the top 3 glass blowers in the world (it runs from generation to generation, you can only become one by blood. Then you apprentice for 25 years and hope that they allow you to be a master). AMAZING!!! I’ve never seen something done so fast, skillfully, incredibly, remarkably, beautifully as I did today. The man first created a blown glass vase. Then he used a different technique to create a glass horse sculpture. He did each in under a minute, it was remarkable. We toured the store (SO beautiful) and socialized withthe salesman (he provided our favorite pickup line of the day: where’d you buy those eyes?). Murano glass is extremely high end and very expensive, but on the way out I noticed handmade glass rings. They were also very expensive, but you can’t put a price on a memory. I bought the best looking one. After, a few of us decided to venture to the beaches on the Island of Lido. We took a Vaparetto (water taxi) and frolicked at the beach for hours! There were beds, contemporary couches, bars and grills, row upon row of seating, and the beach went on for miles. Oh I love love love the beach. Did I mention that I’ve never seen so many nude beach goers before? It all added to the experience. The weather is perfect, the people are perfect, everything here is perfect. I couldn’t have a bad day if Itried.

3 comments:

  1. Love your swim suit! I want a glass blown ring :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LB, Ben and I love reading your blog! Sounds like a blast! I'm glad you're having fun :)

    ReplyDelete