Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Day 2: I wish I could throw straight.




I forgot to mention the reason that I have been blog inactive for 8 days. Our internet has been having technical difficulties, and i'm already technology impaired. So the combination has led to the delay, and I'm trying to get caught up! Day 2 stared promptly at 8 a.m. I thought that running 2 red lights and a stop sign on my drivers test but still passing was bad. I had never been in a taxi in Rome. Speed limits are a suggestion, as is stopping for pedestrians. Also, the bus tracks can be used as an alternate route in the event of traffic. This ride is where I met Stefano, our taxi driver. He was an Italian Steelers/Jazz fan. He asked me out on a date for 8 p.m. He said he would,"give me lots of beer so I was easy." He then proceded to lay across my lap whist driving, which led to him hitting a car. There were a few honks and we continued on our way to the Metro. Stefano gave me his number and an equally creepy smile and we left. We took the metro the Borghese Museum. One word: Incredible!!! They didn't allow photographs, but they wouldn't have done it justice anyways. Since our Colloseum visit was very short lived, we returned with restored excitement. It was just as fantastic on the inside. History fact: it used to be covered in marble, but the king decided to tear it all off to build a temple. There are holes all over the interior walls, and it's from the ancient Romans extracting the steel and marble. So now we are left with a stripped, grey, earthquake stricken, monumental piece of history. At 2:45 we started our walking tour of Rome with Antonella. She was perhaps the smartest Italian i'll ever have the pleasure of meeting. She took us through churches and cathedrals and I was so fascinated by every little detail that naturally I forgot all of names. We ended at Trevi Fountain. They say if you throw one coin in, you'll come back to Rome. If you throw in 2, you'll fall in love in Rome. If you throw in 3, you'll get married in Rome. After attempting to throw one behind me and sideswiping a man in the head with it instead, I was not about to throw another. We got some authentic pizza for dinner follow by gellato. If you were unaware, I HATE icecream. But you will be excited to know that my hatred of icecream is definately made up for by my LOVE of gellato! It is so humid here, and hot. So hot. Ending the day with a cold cup of gellato: there's nothing better.

No comments:

Post a Comment