Monday, July 20, 2009

Day 19: Chunnel

Have you ever ridden a train under the English Channel? I have. Traveling days are exciting and exhausting all rolled into one: hence the reason I didn't feel like taking mediocre photographs. London greeted us just as every city has: with rain. On the tube (the British metro, or American subway) I saw a woman arrive promptly on her bike, and then disassemble it in 20 seconds. That's right, she completely folded up her transportable, folding bike. It was fascinating, incredible, and due to my lack of picture taking and sloth like reflexes I regrettably didn't get a picture. We are living in our flats in South Kensington, London. Let me explain the neighborhood: It is one of the most elite and upperclass neighborhoods in the UK, let alone the world. People pay millions of pounds to live on our street, and they aren't afraid to show it. I've seen more Bentlys, Porsches, Range Rovers, Lotus, and Maseratis than you could even imagine. The mail man rides a bicycle with a woven wicker basket. Flowers adorn the streets and buildings, the streets are bustling, the accents are music to my ears, and I am in LOVE with London. I'm obsessed. I thought the style in Italy and France was amazing, but that was before I saw what London had to offer: London is style. I can't get enough, every single person looks incredible. We went on a walking tour tonight and saw Big Ben, The Parliament, Westminster Abbey, and the London Eye ferriswheel. It was great, I never thought i'd really like London, but it is my favorite city thus far! Our flats are pretty nice, we have a kitchen and living room, but no food or towels. Of course I left my towel at the hotel in Paris, but Brady kindly offered me his spare Shamwow. It works wonders. I can't express how weird it is hearing English, and actually being able to read signs and talk to people: it's so nice. I love London.

No comments:

Post a Comment