Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Day 3: What I would have paid for a hot dog and a sparkler...






We were reminded of the celebration of our homeland by a large flag poorly hung from the side of a bar. But what better way to celebrate than to climb 500 steps at the Vatican to the top of St. Peter's basilica and overlook the entire city from the most breathtaking complete aerial view you could ever imagine. Inside St. Peter's is where we saw the Pieta. AMAZING. Stunning in every way, we were told that Michelangelo would search through blocks of marble and they would speak to him. He just had to find the right one and when he did he would release what was waiting to come out. Released is an understatement, he created an absolute masterpiece. As if it couldn't get any better, it did. When I was 13, I attempted to paint a poor rendition of a tropical Hawaiian scene and a dolphin on the back of my bedroom door. In an ashamed and horrified manner my father was kind enough to remind me that I was not Michelangelo, and this reminder came again once I stepped foot in the Sistine Chapel. Instantly my eyes teared up from my complete amazement. It was as surreal a moment as I've ever had. Every 2 feet a giant sign of a camera with a big X through it insisted the use of no cameras, however every Asian in the room was pretending not to understand, so I did too. The pictures don't even come close to capturing just how incredible it truly was. We made a quick stop to the Pantheon and then headed to the hotel for a swim. We were fortunate enough to be forced into wearing color coordinated bright blue swim caps. That night, we gathered around our t.v./computer and watched youtubed fireworks. We also sang a lovely a Capella version of America the Beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment