Friday, July 31, 2009

Day 30: Billy Elliot.


Throughout life, you experience many firsts: The first time you ride a bike. Your first kiss. Your first bee sting. Your first broken bone (or 5 in my case, I was quite the accident prone child.) On this beautiful, rainy, city night I experienced my first Broadway play: Billy Elliot! We went to the ticket office early that morning and bought our golden tickets. We made a quick stop at the grocery store (Kelloggs has been holding out on America, they sell this cereal called Crunchy Nut here and it is heaven in a box), stocked up for the remaining 5 days (we found Orangina in London!), and headed back to our flat to get all spiced up for Billy. I had the pleasure of sitting front row and I couldn't stop smiling: I was SO excited!! I was constantly chastised for taking pictures in a no picture taking theatre, but I didn't even care. During the first half however, I almost caused a public scene. There was an antsy, ADD, oblivious, view blocking woman of Asian ethnicity sitting on the left of me. Apparently in Asia it is okay to lean halfway onto someone, placing your head directly in front of someones clear view to the stage, during a first time, incredible, life changing musical masterpiece. So Brady traded me spots and the 2nd half was fantastic, profound, breathtaking, spectacular: the singing, the dancing, and acting, the humor, even the 80 casual swears. AMAZING!! 3 hours was not long enough for 12 year old Billy to pursue and live his dancing career during an industrial British mining strike. My first Broadway play was better than I could have ever imagined... everything sounds better with a British accent. Now I'm slightly addicted... I will be attending my childhood favorite movie, The Lion King, on Saturday (stay tuned for that, although my smiles may look slightly cheesy they are full of 100% genuine excitement and enthusiasm). Wicked is also on the Agenda... Why not?? I'm in young, loving my life, and in London. These memories are priceless, and my bank account will understand one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment