Thursday, July 9, 2009

Day 4: I will never again skip my 3rd hour...







On this beautiful Sabbath day we had a free day, so we decided to spiritually enlighten ourselves by attending mass at 10 am. We boarded the packed shuttle promptly at 9:15 and were preluded by "Gangster's Paradise" on the radio. After a quick taxi ride to the Vatican, we entered St. Peter's basilica. Mass can be summed up in 3 words: long. hot. smokey. We attempted the hymns and chants in whatever language was printed in our pamphlets, and decreased our life expectancy from all of our second hand smoke inhalation. Regardless, it was a once in a life time opportunity and I loved every minute. Directly after, we followed the fellow worshipers to Vatican square, and the Pope graced us with his presence from his window. I'm assuming he blessed us, but due to my lack of Italian language skills I can only assume. There was quite a crowd of devout onlookers, the square was completely packed and it was such a rare and great moment. We continued to break the sabbath by buying sandwhiches at a cafe, and then Kaitlyn and I took our ever necessary sunday nap. 5 hours later we ventured back into the heart of Rome for some pasta, but ended up at an adorable restaurant sitting on the patio. Natives consider going out to dinner in Rome an activity, and they expect entertainment and a long night of course after course. I was not so patient, and if I have to sit through another 3 hour "activity" again, I will go inactive. After the first hour we got our food, it was so amazing just like all the food here in Italy. After the second hour, our waiter (who was an exact replica of George Clooney) brought us out some complimentary shots. We poured them in our empty pop cans. At hour 3 George proceded to bring out another complimentary dessert that he bought for us, teramisu. We both hate teramisu. I took one for the team and ate it as all the restaurant employees continued to make fun of my lensless glasses. At the start of the night, George asked me, "Why you have nothing in glasses? You do for the fashion?" I replied yes, and he said he loved it. So mom, stop making fun of my glasses, they're a hit here. We got our check, lied to George about where we were staying, left the cash and ran. We consumed some gellato on the way home (by this time we were ready for another meal), took a taxi back to the hotel, and that's when I realized i'd been wearing my skirt backwards all day. With the slip tucked up in the back.

No comments:

Post a Comment