Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Day 11: The Overnighter

Venice is such a rare and unique city, It was quite sad checking out of the hotel. Our train wasn't scheduled to depart until 8 pm, so we bought a disappointing pizza from some Asians and then shopped the day away. We made a trip to St. Marks, where we waited in line for half an hour and then I was told I couldn't enter because I had a backpack. I kindly asked where I could check my backpack and after attempting to follow the directions of 4 blocks over and a couple streets up but to no avail, I nicely explained my frustration to the security guard. I wish I could tell you what the inside of St. Marks looks like, but due to the language barrier and some accumulated anger, I was asked to leave. After carrying my suitcase over approximately 7 bridges, my anticipation to see the overnight train to Paris was almost more than I could bear. I had been told it would be just like Harry Potter, treat trolleys and all. I was greatly deceived. Prison inmates have bigger jail cells than the shoebox the 6 of us had to share. To add to the excitement, my ticket informed me I could have bought an ipod for what I spent. A scruffy, curly haired man in a possibly hand made uniform came around handing out water and asking for our tickets and passports. It was only after he told us to shut our door and that he'd bring them back in the morning that we started to worry about having our identities stolen. None of us ate dinner beforehand, so we rationed all of our food and water for hours. Meanwhile, other passengers were conveniently enjoying the train restaurant that we didn't know about. I was peer pressured into taking a sleeping pill, but it got the job done.

No comments:

Post a Comment