Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Day 28: I paid 1.5 times more for this shirt than what it's worth- and i'm not ashamed.

The forecast for today said clear skies, in the 70's, a mere 20% chance of rain. It lied. And it rained: again. I was extra tired today, as will be seen in every picture taken. We have and will continue to travel by tube, train and bus every day this week outside of London, all over England. Today we discovered the quaint town of Oxford: it was just wonderful. We arrived at Blenheim Palace, and were left on our own to tour. No matter what anyone tells you: neverrr, everrr everrr get conned into taking the 45 minute audio visual tour at Blenheim Palace. Ever. Doors automatically lock you into the trap of a tour, and it is the longest, most ridiculous holographic tour that could have ever been taken. We learned our lesson after that and took ourselves on a self guided tour of the house. The house was extraordinarily beautiful, and cool fact of the day: it was the birthplace of Sir Winston Churchill! He was an extraordinary man as well. Then, the best part: the secret gardens. The gardens of Palaces never cease to amaze me, they are so lush, green, good smelling, bright, floral, full of buzzing and chirping and ponds streaming away. We took a family picture on a tree, quite original, I know. Afterward we took the double decker bus back to Oxford for some lunch. I got a cheddar and chicken crepe: with MUSTARD!!! Oh I've been missing mustard since July 1st, and I finally, finally found it! It was just as I remember it being: delicious. And then I became an official tourist. If you thought the fanny pack was touristy enough, It just got worse. I bought an I Love London shirt. It was made to fit a large, husky fit Asian man I'm sure, but I don't even care. I wear my oversized, overpriced tourism with pride. In honor of my purchase (Ali and Brady also gave in to the pressures of tourism) we took a top bunk picture. One thing led to another, and before I knew it I was laughing so hard I was crying. We don't know how to take a good picture. I went to the Tesco to get a treat, and saw some $1.6 million dollar Bugattis driving right by me. No big deal. I also learned today that I led a deprived childhood, never in my all my youthful years did I know about the existence of the Padington Bear. I was informed of it today, whilst traveling in the train station and seeing a kiosk for it. But that doesn't matter now that I'm almost legally an adult (less than a month and counting down), because I have a brand new shirt.

No comments:

Post a Comment